Chapter 1

Differentiation- when I initially heard of this word I was thinking that it was going to be something about math and how we can put it in the classroom. I really didn’t think much of it until I we watched the show about Oprah opening the door for girls to go to school and gain an education. It was there that I realized that this was the class that I have wanted to take in a long time. It has already helped me understand or rather have some ideas as far as dealing with different student and their personal needs. Then I was able to read about the ideas behind it and to come to the conclusion that I need to gain all the tools necessary to adequately use them in my classroom; to really become an example of uniting a class and others.

The highlights that I enjoyed reading about were first, that I am the leader to teach to my students’ needs and that this does not have to be done in only one way but multiple ways. This stumped me, however, because I don’t know how to first come up with all the many ways to teach, second how to organize what I am doing for who and lastly if it is being helpful or not. Anyway, the second highlight I liked is that the possibilities are endless of helping students grow and learn. Love this because it is the reason as to why I want to be a teacher. We all want to make a difference and to help individuals to become who they want to be. I am looking forward to learning more about the hows so that I will be as prepared as possible in accomplishing a classroom of learning.




Chapters 5 & 6

On the go again. And trying to become a better teacher once more. These chapters I found interesting because I never thought that curriculum and instruction did much more than what they mean. Meaning, for the most part I feel that we march through material hoping, or not hoping, that those who you are teaching are understanding and comprehending what you are teaching. But these two chapters helped me see how to use both curriculum and instruction to address student needs and how to respond to student needs in order for them to put in all in practice.
And this is where I stop and talk. Almost vent, really. I am finding myself in a state of confusion from all the readings, observations, and applications that I have been able to experience in the past 26 years. Yes, I have included years prior to the education program, but focus more on what the education program is teaching me. It would tell me to put all students ahead of myself. To take time for the individual and to dedicate my efforts in helping them achieve their full potential. Then the application that I have learned in order to accomplish this has ranged from morning meetings, to one on one time, to bringing others in for help, etc. The list goes on and on and the conclusion that all of them reach to is the fact that students and their learning should come first. That they might become all that they can become and this because you as a teacher is taking time to believe in them and to show them that you care. This is the practice that we are in. It is the practice that we believe in. However, if this be the case, why is it that you see very few teachers apply it into their own teaching. Where does the caring begin and if it ever begins where does it end? Why is it that when you're in High School you're not taken care of unless you have a disability? College? Same thing. Unless I have a disability, who cares if I fail or pass? So really, where does the caring end or even begin? Do people really believe that others can become? Or is it hot air and a great idea that makes them look good? I am really confused. Is this what I have to look forward to, not truly caring? Or can I change that and hopefully influence others? Help. I am lost. And I find that although all my readings, etc have been great, are they applied and internalized? Those are my thoughts and concerns. Sorry to put it all on you, but you are the best person for me to just vent to. You don't have to respond, I just needed to get out what it is that I am thinking. So thanks for just reading.

2 comments:

Teacherheart said...

You may not believe this, but the turmoil you're feeling is the best indication to me that you ARE internalizing what will really matter to YOU... that you are finding out that you truly cannot do or be everything for everybody... that you have to make decisions about what will define you as a teacher, and that you'd better take those decisions very seriously because kids' lives and futures really do depend on that. All kids? All futures? Maybe not, but maybe so, in a way. I still remember moments from every year in elementary school... they affected me, and I'm an old lady! I know it sounds like I'm not listening to you, when I say that you ARE becoming the teacher you want to be. It's just that you're at the most difficult part of the climb right now. You need to be with kids SOON, and try to determine how differentiation will look, and how it will work for you, uniquely, Mrs. Pinegar. Just hang in there... you're moving, and you're moving in the right direction!

Teacherheart said...

Oops... there's more! About how teachers in HS and college fail to care about these things. Yeah... some folks should probably not be teachers. It's always been that way... and there have always been some who make it work and "differentiate" without knowing they are or what it is. We can rise above that... chalk some of it up to learning what you DON'T want to be like from those "bad examples." Focus on those who DO try to live by the hallmarks we are learning. Look for even little signs of them. Emulate those people, and those things you see them doing that make the differences this world needs. 4 points