Chapter 1

Differentiation- when I initially heard of this word I was thinking that it was going to be something about math and how we can put it in the classroom. I really didn’t think much of it until I we watched the show about Oprah opening the door for girls to go to school and gain an education. It was there that I realized that this was the class that I have wanted to take in a long time. It has already helped me understand or rather have some ideas as far as dealing with different student and their personal needs. Then I was able to read about the ideas behind it and to come to the conclusion that I need to gain all the tools necessary to adequately use them in my classroom; to really become an example of uniting a class and others.

The highlights that I enjoyed reading about were first, that I am the leader to teach to my students’ needs and that this does not have to be done in only one way but multiple ways. This stumped me, however, because I don’t know how to first come up with all the many ways to teach, second how to organize what I am doing for who and lastly if it is being helpful or not. Anyway, the second highlight I liked is that the possibilities are endless of helping students grow and learn. Love this because it is the reason as to why I want to be a teacher. We all want to make a difference and to help individuals to become who they want to be. I am looking forward to learning more about the hows so that I will be as prepared as possible in accomplishing a classroom of learning.




Pre-Assessment

I really enjoyed looking at the different ideas for pre-assessment because it went beyond the early stages of learning and it gave more ideas for the older students. Which I think would be useful to have so that way I will be able to see what they should be comfortable with knowing also, to see if there are any differences with interests from the early stages to the later. The thing that I thought about while reviewing the assessments is how I hope that they answer truthfully rather than answering what it is that they think I want to hear. Last year when I was in field I administered one of the early assessments to see if the student enjoyed reading. Since I was sitting next to her and reading the questions with her, I noticed that her responses changed from what I noticed about her to match what she wanted me to think of her. Although that provided me with helpful information about her, I still didn't know if she truly liked reading or if she was just trying to please me. I would have to say both, but it almost defeated the purpose of the assessment. I want students to feel that they can like and dislike things that I might not like or dislike. By the students feeling comfortable in my class I hope to understand who they are as individuals and help them to become who they dream of becoming. So, those assessments helped me in multiple ways by letting me think about what assessment would give me the most information to help them and to have my classroom a place where they can feel free to be themselves.

1 comment:

Teacherheart said...

I appreciated your personal look at the assessments, and how you indicated your understanding of their potential. 4 points